Mayfe was due to appear for a pre-trial hearing in the Western Cape High Court on Friday, but reporters heard he was lying on the floor of the cell and refused to come to the dock.
Zandile Mayef appeared in the Cape Town Magistrates’ Court on 12 May 2022. Photo: Kevin Brandt/Eyewitness News
CAPE TOWN – The preliminary hearing of accused Parliament arsonist Zandil Mafe has been postponed until next month.
Mafe was due to appear at a preliminary hearing in the Western Cape High Court on Friday, but reporters heard Mafe was lying on the floor of the cell and refused to come to the dock.
Mafe Luvuyo Godla’s lawyer told the court that he did not expect the events that unfolded on Friday.
Eric Ntabazalila of the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) explains that Godla went down to speak to his client before going to court.
“He came back, addressed the court and said he had been on hunger strike for some time, that he was sick and incapacitated, and he was not informed as a defense that he was on hunger strike and sick,” said Ntabazalila.
Mayfe is believed to have set fire to the National Assembly Hall of Parliament in January, with the fire destroying parts of the Old Assembly building.
He is back in court on September 2.