The 9th conference of the North West African National Conference (ANC) will continue on Saturday despite a court injunction barring members of the Provisional Provincial Committee (PCC) from voting.
IPC has 20 members.
Disgruntled ANC members approached the high court on Friday to stop the IPC from attending and voting at the elective conference.
The party’s provincial structures have been marred by inter-branch disputes and alleged rigged local government lists in last year’s municipal elections.
The conference was postponed four times for various reasons, including the Covid-19 pandemic and the fact that the general meetings of the branches were not held twice a year.
READ ALSO: ANC infighting blamed for killing two in North West
Several branches staged a sit-in at the ANC’s Luthuli House headquarters demanding the conference be postponed until all outstanding branch election disputes were resolved.
They said the selection process was rigged.
In the past, meetings have also been marred by accusations of rigging, sabotage and factionalism.
On Friday, North West High Court Judge Frances Maria Snyman made a costs order against the IPC.
“It is stated that the first respondent [ANC North West] has no right to vote at the ANC Provincial Conference scheduled for August 12-14, 2022. The Respondents are ordered to pay the costs of the application,” her order said.
“ANC is considering options”
The ruling party’s national representative, Pule Mabe, said the ban had nothing to do with the conference itself.
“We have instructed our legal team to explore the options available to us to deal with this matter and advise the NEC accordingly.
“We hope that our intervention will have a positive result. Despite this decision, the conference continues because the court has banned not the conference, but the voting rights of IPC members,” the statement said.
Delegate registration continued on Saturday, the day the conference was scheduled to begin.
NOW READ: RET ANC faction wants Mahumapelo back in North West seat
A heated battle is expected between former premier Supra Mahumapela, whose RET list wants him back in the saddle, and former MEC Nono Maloyi, premier Bushi Maape, finance MEC Matlalepula Rosh and economic development MEC Kenetswe Masenogi – all they contested on the Ramaphosa ticket.
Maloyi’s electoral roll listed Lazi Mokgosi as deputy chairman, Sipho Diale as secretary, Viola Motsumi as deputy secretary and Sela Lehare as treasurer.
Maape’s touted list includes Sanka provincial chairman and provincial chief whip Paul Sebego as deputy chairman, Tata Magagodi as secretary and Rose Tabancha as deputy secretary.
His additional members include China Dodovu, Kenny Morolong, Philly Mapulein and Wendy Matsemela.
The number of Rasho and Masenogi candidates is still unknown.
–Additional reporting by Eric Nucky