- Eric Weinberg, former writer of the popular comedy show Scrubswas charged with several counts of sexual assault.
- Weinberg faces 18 counts related to the alleged sexual assault of five women between 2014 and 2019.
- “The defendant relied on his Hollywood credentials to lure young women to photo shoots where he allegedly sexually assaulted them,” Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon said.
Former screenwriter and producer of a popular US comedy show Scrubs He was charged Wednesday with multiple counts of sexual assault, five years after the MeToo movement forced Hollywood to pay.
Eric Weinberg, who also produced Californianfaces 18 counts related to the alleged sexual assault of five women between 2014 and 2019.
“The defendant relied on his Hollywood credentials to lure young women into photo shoots where he allegedly sexually assaulted them,” said Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon.
“Power and influence can corrupt some to harm others, often resulting in lifelong trauma for those who are victimized.”
The allegations come exactly five years after The New York Times published a stunning investigation into sexual harassment allegations against long-outspoken Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein.
The ground-breaking movement has seen millions of women share the #MeToo hashtag and additional versions in different countries to denounce sexual violence and endemic sexism.
Weinstein, who was convicted in New York, is on trial in Los Angeles on Monday on charges of assault in the city.
The Criminal reading the producer denied all the allegations.
This was announced in Gascony’s office on Wednesday Scrubs In 2014, writer/producer Weinberg approached women twice and told them he was a photographer.
He later allegedly sexually assaulted them at his home in Los Angeles.
“In 2017, the accused used the same ruse to lure a young woman back to his home, where he allegedly sexually assaulted her,” the statement said.
Two other women were allegedly assaulted in separate incidents in 2018 and 2019, the statement said.
“Since his initial arrest in July, dozens of additional potential victims have come forward to law enforcement. Each incident will be thoroughly investigated and reviewed for additional charges.”
Attempts by AFP to contact Weinberg’s legal representative were not immediately successful.
The Hollywood Reporter said that Weinberg’s divorce attorney, Karen Silver, had previously dismissed the allegations as “strategic” and said that Weinberg “will, if necessary, address the allegations in the only forum that matters — in the open courtroom.”
Weinberg was released on bail and ordered to appear in court on October 25.