- Almost 10 months later, the barbed wire blocking the entrance to the Company Garden was removed.
- The barbed wire was erected after a fire in the National Assembly building in January.
- Mayor Jordyn Hill-Lewis said she was pleased police had restored public access.
Barbed wire erected around Govermond Avenue in Cape Town after the Parliament fire earlier this year has finally been removed by police.
Late on Thursday night, police began removing barbed wire that blocked the entrance to the campaign garden and prevented any movement outside parliament.
The barbed wire was erected after a fire in the National Assembly building in January. The police were on high alert after the fire.
Arson suspect Zandil Mafe was arrested at the site.
READ | Guptas, Ace Magashule and Duduzane Zuma linked to Jagersfontein in Probe affidavit
He faces charges of arson, burglary with intent to arson, violation of the Act on the Protection of Constitutional Democracy from Terrorism and Other Related Activities, terrorism, discharge or detonation of an explosive or deadly device and theft.
Mayf’s retrial is expected on October 4.
Parliament sent inquiries to the police.
Police spokesperson Colonel Atlando Mathe said the SAPS does not comment on security matters of key national importance.
Barbed wire installed after the fire in Parliament.
Cape Town authorities have been asking for the barbed wire to be removed for months.
The City argued that this was an “unlawful obstruction of the public wishing to access the company’s garden”.
Mayor Jordyn Hill-Lewis said she was pleased police had removed the barbed wire and restored public access.
“Over the past few months we have been in good faith discussions with the police about removing it after it was illegally closed earlier this year.
“We have agreed with the police that they will clean it up. We can start cleaning Government Avenue after many months of closure and make sure it is ready for public use as soon as possible,” he said.