Here’s your morning news: an easy-to-read selection of our top stories. Stay up to date with The Citizen – more news, your way.
Daily News Update: September 14
Paul Ngobeni, Solicitor Mkhwebane CR17, is not registered with the Legal Practice Board
Fugitive lawyer and former adviser to the minister, Paul Ngobeni, is not allowed to practice law in South Africa because he is not registered as a legal practitioner.
This is reported by the Legal Practice Council (LPC), who confirmed that their records show that “he does not appear on the List of Legal Practitioners (practicing and non-practicing)”.
Muntu Sithole, legal services manager at the Public Protector’s office, testified last week that Ngobeni was allegedly paid 96,000 rand to write a legal opinion for lawyer Busisiwe Mkhwebane’s investigation into President Cyril Ramaphosa’s CR17 campaign.
Senzo Meyiwa trial: Media apologizes after witness chase
Drama has unfolded in the Senzo Meyiwa murder trial after three media outlets asked to leave the North Gauteng High Court sitting in Pretoria on Tuesday after they harassed a witness with cameras.
It comes after a third witness, a longtime friend of slain Bafana Bafana captain Tumelo Madlalo, was expected to take the stand at the trial of five men accused of murdering the soccer star.
READ ALSO: The family of Senzo Meiyiwa are real victims
The court heard how Madlala was left petrified and agitated after he was allegedly harassed by journalists who wanted to photograph him on his arrival.
Home Affairs officer fired over Bushiri’s SA residency appeals again
The senior department of Internal affairs The official who granted permanent residency to self-proclaimed prophet Pastor Bushiri and his family in South Africa is appealing his dismissal.
Former COO Ronnie Markhull was fired in May this year after a year-long investigation.
This comes after he was found guilty of gross dishonesty, gross negligence and failing to comply with the Immigration Act when an official recommended the Bushiri family be granted permits even though they did not meet the requirements after applying in 2016.
A Dubai diamond merchant is investigating the Jagersfontein dam collapse
Dubai-based diamond trader Stargems Group is investigating the Jagersfontein dam collapse, according to a Bloomberg report.
The mine, located in the Free State, was previously owned by De Beers and closed in the 1970s.
The tailings facility is owned by Stargems, a division of Jagersfontein Developments.
A Bloomberg report said the company acquired a stake in the tailings dump from billionaire Johan Rupert’s Reinet Investments SCA in April.
READ ALSO: Daily News Update: Jagersfontein crash, EMPD officers arrested for murder, Alton Jantjis scandal
Jagersfontein Developments is reportedly offering 20 million rand to help the community, an outside spokesperson for the company said in an email to Bloomberg.
PnB Rock rapper shot dead while having lunch with girlfriend
Rakim Hashim Allen, known as PnB Rock, died on Monday after an attempted robbery at a restaurant in Los Angeles, California, USA.
PnB Rock, 30, was dining at the famous Roscoe’s Chicken & Waffles eatery on Main Street and Manchester Avenue with his girlfriend and the mother of his daughter, Steph Sibunheuang, when the suspect showed up around 1pm and allegedly targeted PnB.
It was stated in TMZ in Selfish Earlier in the day, the rapper posted a video of himself wearing expensive jewelry, while Steph posted a location-tagged photo of their meal on her Instagram story, which she later deleted.
The rapper was rushed to the hospital, where he died from gunshot wounds TMZ.
Boxing must pay the price for not releasing a new fly half
The Springboks are set to pay the price for not blooding their new fly-half after Elton Jantzis was sent home from Argentina on Sunday amid explosive allegations of an affair with a team nutritionist in Mbombela last month ahead of the All Blacks Test.
That has left the Boks without their top half, with Handre Pollard ruled out of the rest of the Rugby Championship with a knee injury following the Rugby Championship loss against Australia in Adelaide a few weeks ago.
When asked about selecting just two front-rowers in the squad at the start of the season, Bok coach Jacques Ninaber admitted he was happy with the number of useful players who could cover the position in a pinch.
READ ALSO: Daily news update: Jagersfontein disaster, load shedding continues and Steve Biko remembered