Meghan Markle is opening up like never before, revealing how she and Prince Harry’s son Archie narrowly escaped a fire that broke out in his room during their visit to South Africa.
Markle launched her podcast Archetypes with her close friend, tennis champion Serena Williams, as her first guest. Fortunately, Archie was not in the room at the time of the fire.
READ ALSO: Meghan Markle wants to “fix” the broken relationship with her father
MEGHAN GAVE A TERRIBLE PERFORMANCE IN CAPE TOWN
Meghan Markle said Archie was only four months old during their tour of South Africa and they had just landed in Cape Town. They had to leave their baby at the accommodation where they would live before going to the official meeting in Nyango.
“There was a moment where I’m standing on a stump giving a speech to women and girls, and we’re getting engaged, getting in the car, and they’re like, ‘The house was on fire,'” Megan said.
She adds that Nanny was actually planning on putting Archie to bed, but decided to grab a snack first.
“She was from Zimbabwe and we loved that she always tied him to her back with a dirty cloth. And her instinct was, ‘Let me just take him with me before I put him down,'” Megan said.
In the children’s room, the heater caught fire, but there was no smoke detector.
“Someone accidentally smelled smoke in the corridor – went in, the fire was put out. He had to sleep there,” she said.
Megan said that despite what happened, they still have to stick to the schedule and continue to fulfill their duties.
“Of course, as a mother, you’re like, ‘Oh my God, what?’ Everyone is in tears, everyone is shocked,” she said. “And what should we do? Come out and make another official appearance.”
“I said, ‘That doesn’t make any sense. Can you just tell people what happened?’ And so much, I think, from a perspective, the focus ends up being how it looks, not how it feels,” she said.